Tuesday, February 15, 2011

argument at an airport lounge

Premise: a man and a woman queue to enter a lounge at an airport. The woman, well-dressed and aged about 35, is named Eva. Behind her stands a shabby, portly man of about 40. This is Gary. Seated behind the desk is the young staff member Harriet.

Harriet: Good afternoon, Madam. Where are you flying to today?

Eva: (extracting a card from her purse and handing it to Harriet) Singapore- on Singapore Airlines. DJ4… something.

Harriet: No, no- that’s fine. Go on through.

Eva: Thank you.

(Eva carries on towards the entrance of the lounge. Gary starts towards the desk)

Gary: Hey…(squinting) Harriet. Can I come in?

Harriet: Umm… are you a KrisFlyer member sir?

Gary: Huh, a what? Oh nah, but I know Jane- you know, in customs. She said it wouldn’t be a problem. (in mock voice) I promise I’ll be good.

Harriet: Well, usually unless you’re flying in Business Class or are member of our KrisFlyer service you can’t-

Gary: (in annoyed voice) Look, my boss doesn’t fork out three grand for me to be spoon-served Bollinger like the rest of these up-themselves rich pricks. All I want is to-

Eva: (standing observing from entrance in plain disdain) You want to what? What exactly do you want? To sip some free Bollinger while the rest of us “rich pricks” had to work to be here?

Gary: I’m sorry lady, who are you, and why is this your business?

Harriet: (flustered) No it’s fine, it’s fine. I’m sure you can come in this once-

Eva: No, it’s not fine. This man shouldn’t be here; he isn’t allowed to be here. Why don’t you explain to me the reasoning behind my paying to have access to this lounge, when I could, far more easily, claim some acquaintance in the deepest recesses of the airport and instantly demand entry?

(Gary stands, dumbfounded)

Gary: I-, you can’t-

Eva: Yes? Do go on- we are intrigued to hear your opinion.

Gary: (enraged) Look! I’m not some fucking bludger! (he fumbles in his jacket’s inner pocket, withdrawing a ticket. He thrusts it on the table) I’m on the plane, for god’s sake!

Harriet: Please, sir. Please don’t yell.

Eva: Just fuck off. (muttering) Anyway, you’re far too badly dressed to-

Gary: What did you say, bitch?

(at this point, two more men of Gary’s age stroll through the lounge entrance, laughing- Terry and Joe)

Terry: Hey! There he is!

Eva: (nodding knowingly) Uh huh- I see. You thought you might just sneak your cronies in, too. Where do you people get off?

Joe: What is this?

Gary: You people? You fucking cow; you-

(Harriet rises from her seat)

Harriet: (yelling) LEAVE! All of you! Now!

(Gary, Terry and Joe all back out in disbelief)

Eva: (flustered) Gosh, I’m really sorry. I’m not usually so forceful and…loud. I just got so pissed off. What a cock!

Harriet: (breathing heavily) Wow. That hasn’t happened before.

Eva: I’m really sorry it had to. Honestly, usually I don’t care about this kind of thing. Just that guy… (trails off)

Harriet: I always hope I don’t get those kinds of people; they think that just because their kid’s best friend’s bloody aunt had a job here they suddenly are entitled to whatever they feel like. We are trained to decline them politely… but I usually just want to avoid a scene, you know?

Eva: Of course, everyone’s the same. You look so young- you can’t have been here that long?

Harriet: (smiling) Yeah, six months.

Eva: That’s not long to have to deal with a situation like that; with a guy like him.

Harriet: And the hours are awful. Trying to sleep during the day just doesn’t work the same. I wouldn’t put up with it, except I get travel perks. But then, who wants to when you might get stuck with people like them.

Eva: Fuck!

Harriet: What?

Eva: I just remembered, I’m sitting next to that asshole.

Harriet: (grimacing) Now I’m sorry. You might need that Bollinger now- inside on your right.

Eva: (giggling) Maybe I could sedate myself and not have to see his ugly face?

(they laugh, and Eva leaves)

No comments:

Post a Comment