Friday, December 24, 2010

My thoughts on Quickscoping, and the Black Ops nerf.

Let me preface this by saying that I didn't buy Black Ops. I had Reach.

Quickscoping- I tried. For a long time, in fact, the Intervention with Sleight of Hand Pro was practically all I used in Modern Warfare 2, even though a) I was thoroughly shite at it, and b) There were, and will always be, far more productive methods of playing (watch a SeaNanners video if you disagree).

But all said and done, I had fun. I was even decent at it for a week or two. Half scopes, drag shots, they were thrilling in a way that drop shotting with a silenced Tar wasn't. But like everything enjoyable, it seems, in time it just becomes insufferably frustrating. Visited Modern Warfare Domination mode of late? One big sniper lobby, 360ing until they have their montage. Damn you, Grizz, look what you've created.
 
So I was somewhat torn over Treyarch's decision to render Quickscoping more or less impossible in Black Ops. Understandably, the Quickscoping community (I was really surprised there was one) gasped collectively. A part of me applauds Treyarch for taking a bold step like this. Nothing makes my blood boil like does spectating a montage guy in Search and Destroy opting to take no scopes rather than defuse. Yet the weird 0.25 second sway they implemented made regular sniping inaccessible for the rest of us, too, and when a game like Call of Duty cannot successfully achieve the quality for which it has accumulated acclaim, and because of which millions purchased it, there is a problem.

Hey Treyarch, why not take a cue from Reach and implement a sniper lobby in Black Ops? You can even call it "just for jerks", I don't care. You certainly didn't have any reservations when it came to pinching initiatives like Theater mode and a currency system from Halo, or the rest of that stuff from Modern Warfare 2. You wanted so badly to be different, to carve yourself a niche like Infinity Wards's controversy... but you can't have wanted this.

But we'll always have Forge.

No comments:

Post a Comment