Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The joys of business class travel.

It's funny how quickly we can become unbelievably snobbish given the right circumstances (or maybe that's just me).

Example: business class on aeroplanes (don't try and tell me it's airplanes blogspot).

The planes that I tend to fly on are laid out so that business class is in the front, and economy at the rear. We are frugal folk, and cannot afford the extortionate prices of business class. As such I have the pleasure of trudging through the business cabin each time I fly. For me, it's all about the exchange of looks. Disdain from the business passengers already reclining and sipping a Moet while perousing the Business section of the paper. We commoners shrink back under their gazes, but we mask longing for what we will never have behind bitterness. Well, I did.

Recently, though, I flew a succession of 12-ish hour flights in Business- at the expense of my dad's employer- and immediately changed, for the better, I like to think. Suddenly it was I casting my upper-class gaze upon the working-class plebeians, and I have to admit I enjoyed the experience from start to finish. I fancied myself a James Bond type character, ordering gin and tonic with gay abandon, acting shocked when the hostess informed me that they were out of the champagne I had requested. Classic.

Yeah, that was me for 48 hours.
When a woman and her infant from back there attempted to use the business bathroom (bigger...less harsh lighting) but was swiftly blocked by our hostess, my mother and I tore her to pieces. Quietly of course- no raised voices in business. How dare she... Our bathroom... No right at all.

And it didn't end there. Express check in, KrisFlyer Gold lounge- there was even a physical red carpet for us too stand on, becuase we business passengers' feet are just to important to walk on regular floor.

But I'm 16, too young to already be such an douche. I shouldn't have got so wound up in my luxury, since now it's back to economy. Granted, I'm lucky to be flying all the time at all, but still. Where else can you act like a baby, demanding things left and right, and still be addressed as "Master"?

No comments:

Post a Comment