Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Quand je serai plus vieux, je vais...

I'm constantly trying to organise and consolidate my life- considering what I'm doing at the moment, what I've done so far, and must crucially, what I will do in the future: let's talk jobs.

First, I planned on a life of solving crime, this after watching Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century on Saturday mornings. He and Watson flew around on circular hover crafts (because let's face it, how else does one actually know it's the future?), wearing trench coats, and smoking pipes. It seemed a grand lifestyle, the laser guns and all that, but even at the age of 7 or whatever, I could still see the single fault in that it wasn't yet the 22nd Century. So, I moved on...

...to Marine Biologist. Not sure the motivation for this one, however. I used to be quite the animal guy, next to Simon, of course. He was the animal guy. I had decided the oceans were cool, and being a scientist was even cooler. When my Year 5 teacher announced one day that her daughter was had the very same job to which I was aspiring, I demanded to know more. The very job. Marine Biology just sort of faded away, and for a while (like I should have been) I remained uncertain on the career front.

Yet this didn't fly with my OCD need to catergorise everything. At the time our house was being renovated, and I liked to pore over the plans, examining in awe the way our architect had included every detail from sinks to the garden hedge, and the wispy way she penned her name and address in the bottom right corner. Architects even had a way of making doors look sweet. This was my motivation for taking graphics in Year 9, which I found to be dismally boring. Onwards.

I fly quite a bit, and I had always harboured a vague interest in planes, and pilots. This, of all my various planned careers, must have been the most closely and seriously examined. I read up on being a pilot, talked to a bunch of people from the industry, and even took a test flight. I was very gung ho for a month or so. I was told I had the perfect, exacting personality for the job, and that the perks would be outrageous. It was my medical examiner, a great old man, who finally spoke seriously to me. "I found it dull," he said, "because essentially, you're just monitoring equipment." This last piece of advice resonated with me, and has since put me off the idea of flying for a living. That, and I realised that I deeply hate flying, and what with my bad eyesight and asthma, getting the medical renewed every year would have been a pain in the ass.

Last night, having seen half of The Social Network, I settled on come IT job. Good pay, according to TradeMe jobs, plenty of travel opportunities (because I'm that angled around pay- my father's son), and typing code is just so cool. I don't know anything about it, of course, and I'll have likely changed my mind in the coming weeks. It's good to dream, though.

I just hope that by the time enrollment for Uni actually comes around, I won't be fixated on something awful like teaching.

1 comment: