Monday, January 31, 2011

New Year's Resolutions

Like most people, I like the idea of bettering myself throughout 2011, just not the effort required. It's become something of a sport in the modern day, making new year's resolutions that deep down we realise will remain otherwise unfulfilled. It's been a while since I've done this kind of thing, so I'm unsure as to how it will pan out. And seeing as though I don't recognise any gaping personality flaws I may posses, or pressing issues in my life, I've had to get more creative. In compiling and detailing these ideas, though, I'll be sure not to be too vague. Reading things like "be more adventurous" just pisses me off. Now for the mighty list:

1. Get to the gym, get more muscular.

Last time I got a membership, I mainly did cardio, but this did little for my scrawn, and since I've long since quit most sport, there's no real need for me to be especially "fit". Some inklings of biceps would be nice, I mist admit, despite my not being obsessed with muscle as being indicative of my heterosexuality like a lot of people.

2. Complain less about air travel.

Because, let's face it, I'm pretty lucky to be jetting off to bonny Asia as it is. 12 hour flights really aren't that bad; rather, the real horror comes when, only 3 hours in and 9 to go, I imagine all the things I could be achieving if only I weren't stuck in a thin metal tube, the acrid smell of body odor in my nostrils and a fat man snoring in my ear. I could be achieving anything. My solution- pop a few valiums.

3. Read one book every month, post reviews on blogspot.

This comes more from a need for new material on my blog than anything else. Still, I feel inherently cleverer and cultured upon finishing a book, and I could always do with playing less Xbox. As it is, I'm caught between re-reading Treasure Island and old issues of Xbox 360 World, the reviews of which I can now quote right down to the witty captions.

4. Reclaim (at least partially) my former tennis form.

Playing against my father the other day, it suddenly dawned on me how shit my game is these days, and how my twelve year old self would unequivocally whip me in a proper match. Sure, I won 6-1, but my shotmaking, especially where my serve was concerned (by the end of the match I was flinging serves at him, the double fault count approaching 20!) truly worried me. One day I will be able to fondly appreciate that I am past my best, but damnit, not yet.

5. Learn to write in cursive.

Looking over my exam papers, I am frequently appalled by the shockingly poor quality of my handwriting, as well as baffled that markers could actually understand what I wrote. Indeed, when e's become a's you know you're in trouble. My friend has even gone so far as to kindly refer to it as an "illegible scrawl". Cursive would simultaneously solve this problem, as well as giving a marker/teacher the impression that I am in fact a hard working guy, rather than some lurking psychopath, and am discussing the properties of ionic substances, rather than compiling my "people spying on me" list.

6. Be more positive.

You'll have to excuse the vagueness here. I tend to complain a lot, in want of something insightful and clever to say. Often these complaints are warranted, like if I pass a mock-tudor house, but I imagine it can get too much. Obviously changing your personality is difficult, but by approaching experiences with a better attitude, perhaps I'll enjoy them more?

There are, of course, more things to add, but a year is a short space of time. Being more adventurous can undoubtedly wait until 2012. Oh wait, the world will end then. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment